11/12/2008

Monday night's rock....

As is always the case, the Monday night games were a blast. This week was made even more special, with the return of Baywolfe after an extended break due to real life. It was great to have Bay back in the mix. Hopefully, we'll get to see him out as a regular in the Donkery that is our Monday night Poker.

The tables were full of good friends, as both local and those not so local showed up to sling a few chips. MemphisMojo, Muhctim, cem, Baywolfe, brudder Carson, DonKaaa, the ever lovely SuzY_Q and the pleasant surprise of Fred's return to the game, (as BarBill) all made for wonderful and very entertaining evening.

Another special guest made it out to the HORSE game as well. Purple Power himself, Sir. Drizz joined in on the fun. Always great to be lucky enough to hang around Drizz for a bit, even if it is only virtually. Another special addition in that game, was my bud TheGoatlady. As natural selection would have it, the random seating selector managed to squeeze my little fishie butt, right between the two of these sharks. Nice start!! :)

In the early Hold'em game, I started strong and actually played pretty good. (for me! STOP laughing!) I made what I personally think was a pretty tough continuation bet, into a very coordinated board at the time. I'd raised pre, bet the flop and hated to see that turn card. I was up against Fred and he'd passively called me all the way down to that point. I figured that I needed to find out where I was in the hand and assumed I'd get instant feedback with another bet. Once he tanked for longer than 5 or 6 seconds, I was pretty sure that I was making the right decision. He ended up folding an under pair to my Aces.



Fred crippled me, Hmmmmmmmm........ strike that! I crippled myself making a decision to move back at what I figured had to be his weak-ass kicker on an ace. I was only holding pocket Queen's at the time, but I'd played them like Aces the whole hand. When the Ace hit the board and he seemed to begrudgingly come along, I figured I could make him believe I really liked that Ace. No such luck, he was just fine with his 3 for a kicker. I donked off 1/3 of my stack to him. Then I ran just brutally card dead. Instead of the continuous run of folds I would normally make in this position, I decided to take a few stabs with the junk. Brilliant idea! I won exactly one more hand the rest of the night. I basically spewed what little chips I had away, trying to hit something on the flop. 'Cause that's what Donk's like me can be like sometimes.

I was proud to see Fred make the money in only his second appearance. Hopefully the game is a welcome distraction for him. I know he could always use a little of that right now! Special thanks from me to you all, for making him feel so welcome at our tables. Means a lot!

*EDIT* Just so you know, the first thing Fred said to me when he came out of his first chemotherapy treatment yesterday was, "That's a great group you've got there on Monday's. You're a pretty lucky guy!"
I think that say's it all!

HORSE was a typical HORSE game for me. I did win a couple of LHE hands this time though, as it seemed the RnG figured out I'd need a few good hands here and there, in order to screw me royally at a later point. Then natch' comes the Omahahaha. OK I'll be honest, I was petrified to play a hand at first. Think about it! I'm sitting at a table with Carson, DonKaaa and drizz is on my immediate left! Three of the players that I know and should respect for their Omaha talents. I folded for the entire first round of Omaha. (say it with me now..... PUSSY!) Actually I have to be honest here, I figured I could learn a thing or two if I just watched and got a bit of a feel for the way the play was shaping up. That and I basically got some pretty crappy hands. But the RnG did get it's kick in the junk in during the Omaha portion. I was dealt what I would consider a pretty craptastic Omaha starter, only to see it come up Quad's on the flop. SweeeeeeeeeT ! Then to add insult to injury, I think both drizz and DonKaaa were in that hand with flopped boats. That could've been a pretty damn big pot if I was still in there.



I ran well in RAZZ and was getting some pretty good boards to work with. Somehow the bricks managed to keep on missing me and finding my fellow player's instead. I ran up a descent stack through the RAZZ portions. STUD was just insane! Talk about a dream land or Nirvana in Poker! I honestly ran hotter on Monday night than I can remember running for a very, VERY long time! Rolled up starters with the case card apparently still out there somewhere. Four card straight flushes with very live wrap and nut flush draws hitting repeatedly. I actually made Quad's twice, to go with a King high straight flush and one absoloutely perfect steel wheel. What can I say, it was just insane. Only real issue was, the hands were way to obvious to get any real action after they were made. So there were an awful lot of half-pots rather than the monsters I could have made, if the power of my holdings could have been disguised a little better.

I ended up making the money and busting out third in the HORSE game. I see TheGoatlady went on to a well deserved win, and DonKaaa posted his second 2nd. place finish of the night, having also finished in that spot in the first NLHE game. Congrats to both!

As is alway's the case from my perspective, thanks to everyone for making my Monday nights something I start looking forward to, the second that I bust out of the last Monday night game. You're all the best !

My sincerest thanks for dropping by....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fine bunch you got there, even if some are Packers fans.