10/08/2008

P is for Play....

A while back, I wrote up Bam-Bam's alphabet and I thought it was time to expand on the letter P.

The whole alphabet can be found HERE if you like.

So the theory is, Play a lot. It will always be the best part of your life! If you know anything about me at all, you'll know I hold this very near and dear to my heart. I firmly believe that entertaining the brain with play, helps keep the mind and heart young. So today's motivational topic, is Play!


I find that almost everyone gets confused and makes Play incredibly difficult by looking for something TO play! Folks, WHAT you play is not actually the point at all. The effect you're looking for is HOW you play, whatever you're playing!

Obviously, we all love Poker! Well OK! Sometimes we love the game, sometimes it's a brutal life sucking bitch from which there is no escape! But generally, we love to play the game. Give this some serious thought now, how do you best describe, how you PLAY the game?

Yesterday, I took a little flack for saying, "sometimes I just want to sling some chips and shoot the shit with friends." And from a few surprise sources I might add. It made me stop and ponder? Am I not getting the true intent of our pokery life style? Am I missing the point? Well I came to the conclusion that as of recently NO, I actually DO get it and I think others may be missing out on the truly spectacular side of the game. And THAT my friends, is what poker is...... A GAME! It is not a sport, despite the arguments of others out there. IT'S A GAME! A game we decide to put our hard earned cash up for grabs at sure, but a game none the less.

I think a refresher on the definition is in order here.

game [geym]
–noun
1. an amusement or pastime.
2. a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.

Some will argue that there are in fact Poker Pro's, and I say that's a very valid point indeed! But does that describe us in general? Does that describe Joe A. Blogger to a tee? I think not. The mix within our group, is probably more eclectic than we'll ever know or likely even admit. Think about when you get the opportunity to meet someone that you've only ever had the pleasure of playing on-line poker with before. Are they ever exactly what you expected? (AlCantHang excepted of course!) Of course they're not! Just as we differ in age, sex, sexual preferences and skin tone, we must recognize that we also have a vast array of "Play" at the poker tables. For most of us, The Hammer has become widely accepted as one of the best things you can possibly do at a table of friends. A year ago, I thought you were all friggin' nuts! Seeing the value in the play however, has finally gotten through this thick skull of mine and I love it!

It's the Play and there's just so much value in play! It keeps us laughing, keeps us entertained and therefore, it keeps us young. I personally will never see anything wrong with that. For someone with the lifelong attitude that I have always had about play, I'll never understand why it took me so damn long to understand The Hammer!

All of which brings me to a secondary motivational thought for the day.


So true isn't it? How you look at things can make such a huge impact on how and what your reaction to them will be. I've lost a little of that perspective lately, but the Bash a little over a week ago, and this past Monday night with friends, both helped steer me back in the right direction. Now that I'm back on track, I'm going to try and stick with the theme that got me here in the first place!

I'm gonna' Play more, in everything I do!

My sincerest thanks for dropping by....

5 comments:

DrChako said...

Here's what I saw:

Blah, blah, blah.

WOMEN KISSING!

Blah, blah, blah.

BOOBIES!

Good post.

-DrC

OhCaptain said...

I love to play poker, just slinging the chips around while laughing with friends. To do this, I grind it out in games I can beat to get the chips I need to sling around while laughing with friends. You gotta be able to play it both ways. If I'm in the WSOP with life changing money on the line, I ain't throwing away good chips cause it would be funny...

Oh...love the boobies and the women kissing. Makes me think of rainbows. Just sayin'

Unknown said...

After watching too many hands not go my way I've succumbed to the "I play for fun" crowd.

Otherwise I wouldn't play at all.

Riggstad said...

ahhhh Perspective!! NOW I GET IT!

CEMfromMD said...

Bam my friend, the only reason I play the Blogger tournaments is just for the slinging of chips and shooting off at the mouth. There are other times to be serious. I agree with you completely.