8/25/2008

Exactly what we needed....

After a particularly tough week for us both, plans to golf at Wooden Sticks with DonKaaa and the lovely Queen_K, were just the distraction the two of us needed.

The update on Fred is, that we don't know much more than we did at the end of the week. It seems that his shortness of breath stems from some water on the lungs. They're working on that. There's also going to be quite a bit more testing done, with hopes that all issues can be addressed in order of importance. His spirits remain high and his mood is generally good. Hopefully we can pick him up a little bit more, by telling him all about the course we played on yesterday. Fred does love his golf!

The idea behind Wooden Sticks design is simple. They've re-created 12 of the most famous holes in golf, so that anyone can get the chance to play them. You start out at Oakmont, trying to avoid the "Church Pew" bunkers along the right side.

One things for certain, the holes don't get any easier just because they're not PGA Tour inspired. Here's DonKaa and Queen_K on the second hole. It's an original design, but look at all those bunkers protecting that tiny narrow fairway!

For some, I'm sure that the tee shot from the 13th. hole inspired by Pine Valley, can be just a touch intimidating on first glance.

Here's a chance for you to use your keen eye. See if you can spot Peb's in this next picture. The hole is "The Postage Stamp," 8th. hole from Royal Troon.

Despite some of these holes being some of our favorite designs from all over the world, the key focus for all of us that held the most excitement was the 17th. It's an exact replication of TPC Sawgrass' Island green 17th. hole.

If you look closely at this next picture, you should be able to see 4 balls on the green. So the four of us aren't exactly sure what the fuss about hitting a silly little "Island green" is all about.

Hell! Un-like some guy's favorite robot, I even did it without feeling the need to scream obscenities at DonKaaa, as there was a little click right at the point of impact.

Up on the Tee at the 17th., I made a comment about the Sunday pin placement. I mentioned that the traditional Saturday front location would have been so much nicer. Having the pin there gives you real hope for the hole-in-one. Apparently, I really was there a day too late!

The last hole on the course, gives every golfer the chance to say the corny "good bye" to St. Andrews. It's the home hole and it really is a breathtaking view.

Instead of saying good bye, my Peb's made us all say "HELLO." As she launched another herculean drive to just 60 yds. short of the 18th. green. I tried to explain to her that 260 yds. is 'not bad' for all up hill into a typically stiff St. Andrews head wind! But in all honesty, I guess she deserves the right to taunt us here.

For a golfer, this place was like Mecca! The beauty just never stopped and rounding every corner to the next hole, was like Christmas morning to a 5 year old. This was such an exceptional distraction at a time when it was needed the most. DonKaaa and Queen_K..... We can't think of anyone we would have rather spent yesterday with! You two have always been there for us and we can't thank you enough. OH wait! I guess I could pay you back the money I owe you, after "forgetting my wallet" yesterday huh? I think I better make sure that cash is handed right to Queen_K. I know who to keep happy in that family! Well, that is when Mini-DonK-EH isn't around!

Hospital again tonight, so I don't think I'll make the TuckFard I game. But I'll probably register for the 8:00pm. TuckFard II HORSE game. Worst case scenario if I don't make it back in time, you guy's can all just share my chips. Wait! That just sounds like any other week!

Hope to see you there tonight.

My sincerest thanks for dropping by....

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks gorgeous, some day I'll come around and we can play a round. The prayers are still a coming for Fred and my hopes are for a quick recovery.

Stay Strong, Live Brave.

IT

BWoP said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Weeeeeeeee for GORF!

The NL Wife said...

Is that plaid shorts and a print shirt? Good thing I don't love you for your fashion - at least Pebs has some class!

BamBam said...

HaHaHa....
At least I know you love me!!!!

I don't think of them as "plaid."
More like two-tone for the "fashionably challenged."

Unknown said...

Wow that looks like fun.

Granted I'd shoot about 120 there breaking some clubs in the process, but well worth any green fee.

Evy said...

Hey Bam and Pebs...

Sorry I am just reading about Fred. I'm really glad that he does not have a tumor. I know he still has an uphill battle, but having such a strong support system via family will make things much more tolerable for him.

*hugs*

Evy