8/27/2008

Not how.... but WHY???.....

I asked DonKaaa if he would be interested in stopping by the cave to run through the Skillz PLO H/L game with me. I know that he's had some deep runs in rather large MTT's, and also made a fair bit of cash at the tables with this game. Since I consider myself an "Omatard," I was hoping to get a lesson from someone that is way better at it than me. Not just a lesson in how to play, since like most, I have the basics down pretty pat. But WHEN to play has always been an issue. I figured DonKaaa was just the guy I needed to help me out.

It turns out that in PLO H/L with bloggers, the time to play is push and pray! Laugh at me all you will for some of my decisions in NLHE! I have big shoulders and I can take it. Hell! Everyone of you is better than me at NLHE and finishing lower than me in an MTT more than once, should be an embarrassment! But good lord! Give you Donks 4 cards... and I'll just sit back and watch the retardedness grow and grow! What is it? Do you sit there and say things like, "OMG! It gave me four more cards this time! This games GREAT! I should bet pot!"

I'm just a gentle man hoping to be considered a gentlemen by most, but holy fuck people! Something I don't normally do is pay attention to anything but my own table. But last night I watched attentively, as several players were repeatedly beaten by some 'interesting' starting hands. Now I'm not stupid enough to call any one person out by name. (without being face to face with that very person. 'cause that IS how I roll!) Besides, this was a condition that applied to far too many players to be that specific anyhow. I watched HOY get clobbered by well.... let's just say, another beauty. I ended up taking HOY out when he only had about 35 chips left. I bet out just to make it a race one on one, and isolate what was probably a fairly wide range of hands for him in that particular spot. Right after I bet the chips out, the first thing that popped into my head was, "retard! These guy's won't fold! You know that you idiot!"

I didn't end up getting my lesson from DonKaaa as obviously, he was pretty worked up about playing the format himself. So I needed to figure out the "when" to play part, all on my own. It seems to me, the answer is always..... or .... never. I took about 35 screen caps and recorded about 20 hand histories last night. After considering everything involved in putting them out there for review, I decided it's smarter to keep them to myself. Now I'm far from saying I'm perfect! I made a few moves myself last night. But they were just that, MOVES! Folding after a re-steal attempt is NOT a sin folks! I've never in my life seen so many, "push n' pray 'cause I got four cards and just got caught with crap after a raise," hands being played. Honestly! If this was a live home game, I'm pretty sure we'd have needed some type of first aid personnel present.

Maybe I'm just tired from not getting any sleep since I can't remember exactly when, but what a fucking painful joke last night ended up being! The play last night, actually makes me very proud of my sixth place finish. Not because of my great play by any means! It's more like I should buy the T-shirt that reads, "I sorta survived a blogger PLO H/L game!" kind of feeling.

========

I'll be taking the next couple of days off to spend a little more time with Fred. Hopefully, he'll be making the trip down the road to full recovery. I'm also hoping that I'll accidentally get just a little bit of sleep, as a result of the time off.

To my friends out there.... Thanks for what you do and for being you! I can't imagine how I can repay you for the thoughts, prayers and love you've shown us.

========

Lastly, there's been a fair bit of good writing lately about "entitlement." You can find two of them that are well worth the read HERE and HERE. But there's also a third post on the subject, and I personally think it's some of this particular bloggers best work. Take a moment when you get the chance, to check out how good my brudder Carson can write... when he puts his mind to it! Check him out HERE.

My sincerest thanks for dropping by....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Continued thoughts and prayers to Fred sir.

Take some time to decompress and hold Peb for us!

All my best

IT

Unknown said...

I'll chat at the bash with you about this.

Some of those "bad" hands are legitimate plays, barely, but there are reasonings in there even if the player/blogger didn't realize it.

Shrike said...

Alays nice playing with you, BamBam.

-PL