8/29/2008

Oooooh what a lucky man, I am....

"True friends, are family you get to choose." Bam-Bam (Sept. 2003)

That was part of my speech as best man at my brudder C.C. and Momma Guebo's reception. Obviously at the time, it was directed to our best friends. But as of late, the phrase has come back to me, and it seems to be stuck on repeat. For the record, I'm totally OK with that! The troubles over the last two weeks, have given me great pause for reflection. I thought I'd share the blogger related side of this journey with you.

I have a friend totally willing to offer us his free expert medical advice. At a time when informed opinions matter the absoloute most!

I have a friend who just made me laugh to the point of tears for over 5 minutes. At a time when I didn't even think I could smile.

I have a friend who just calls to help me talk things out. This friend genuinely offers anything I need at any time. At a time when needs can be heavy enough to hold you firmly in place, like the weight of the world on your shoulders.

I have some friends who know that distraction can be what I need the most. At a time when all seems so focused on the negative.

I have a friend who not only is taking care of a friend of mine, as she tours through NYC this weekend. But this friend offered up his home and life, not to me, but to a complete stranger. Just 'cause she's a friend of mine! At a time when I'm just too busy, and unable to help her get the most out of her trip.

I have a friend that I just can't wait to get together with in September. This friend not only helps me hook up with others at times of need, but this guy genuinely makes me feel better about belonging in our little community. This friend totally gets it, and treats me like I do too! At a time when feeling good about myself, could not possibly mean any more to me.

I have a friend that makes me smile and laugh. At a time when bad thoughts can cloud judgement and run rampant throughout my brain, I can recall our past memories to block out the pain and anguish of the present. This friends constant drive, also helps me see the importance of pushing forward.

I have a friend that should really post a little bit more. He writes so damn well, that he draws you into the story with his very first words. This friend can bring a smile to my face just by showing up at the table. At a time when smiles are few and far between.

I have a friend that makes me laugh almost every single day. At a time when laughter really is the best medicine. Despite his incredible lack of taste in NFL teams, I feel honoured and fortunate to get the chance to debate a few subjects with this friend in September.

I have a friend who despite his incredibly hectic sex life, ( with a female even! :) ) always finds the time to offer up a lesson or advice from something I've said or done. At a time when trying to learn from mistakes, can be difficult due to distractions.

I have a friend who not only does a great Otis impersonation, but who genuinely always has the right thing to say, at the right time. At a time when I need to hear them the most!

I have a friend that is NOT moving a little closer to Bedrock. Yet despite this saddening news, I can't help but feel better for him somehow. At a time when any kind of feeling better, is far superior to some of the feelings going through my thoughts these days.

I have a friend that just shows up and proceeds to make me feel great. At a time when times of greatness, are getting fewer and fewer.

I have a friend I haven't yet met face-to-face. This friend seems to be capable of reading my mind and getting my thoughts down in writing quite often. Only to get them posted a day or two earlier than I'm able to do. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The frequency with which G-Rob is able to get this done, is often incredibly eerie. But the subject is (almost :) ) always better written, than the mess that I had started to put together.

I have a friend whom I just can't say enough about. I'll let my arms do the talking in September, and leave it at that. (((hugs))

I have a friend that I'm hoping all my other friends will try to convince, (read apply copiuos amounts of "beer-pressure!" ) her to gather with us all at The Bash. Nothing could make my Pebbles and I happier, than for the four of us to sit down to a drink together. At a time when we could surely use some good times. Here's the first of the real "beer-pressure" to be applied. I'm buying!

I'll never be able to cover in retrospective, what all of you my friends out there mean to the two of us. But I truly am a very lucky man!

True friends, are family you get to choose.

No matter how dissfunctional this may all appear at times, blessed be those that have some family. I feel truly blessed to have you all.

My sincerest thanks for dropping by....

4 comments:

SirFWALGMan said...

awwww... your going soft in your old age Bam..

DrChako said...

Any time, my friend.

-DrC

Riggstad said...

It's all Goot!

Thats what friends are for! Ya big lug!

By the time you get here your schedule is going to be so full, there might not be any time to booze!

blahahahahahaha!!!
p.s. Bring Olga! Mrs. Riggs is interested!!!

Oh No I didn't! OH YES I DID!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Anonymous said...

GG "A9". I just wanted to finish the $1 HORSE last night. Bad suckout for me. - Chubby