9/11/2008

No wonder Al's a Chelsea fan....

For the life of me, I could never get over Al's constant ramblings about Chelsea.(NSFW?)With him, it's always "Chelsea this" or "Chelsea that."

Obviously, I get it now! Goooooo Chelsea !

Had Waffles actually been clever enough to figure all this out on his own, I'm sure he woulda' been a huge Chelsea fan a long time ago. ;)

=====

OK ! On to some pokery stuff!

Brudder Carson asked me a question yesterday, related to the On-Line STUD variations and showdowns. Since I-am-not-a-geek, I couldn’t give him an answer that made any sense. Besides, it never really mattered to me. That was until… I started reviewing HH’s to see how it was being done. Then I reviewed some of the “steamier” blogs about who sucked out on whom and how they chased down to 7th. street to hit. Hell, I even think I may owe cem an apology for Monday’s accusation of a chase. I wish I had that HH to figure it out to be honest. I don’t do many HH’s in the TuckFard games. I take notes on the fly.

So here’s a question for anyone who cares to supply their take on what and why this is being done. If none of them make any sense, I’ll try my luck with F/T support to see what they have to say.

Carson asked :

“Why the hell do they sometimes flip cards around at showdown, when they already break down the best five cards to determine High and/or Low?”

So I grabbed a few examples and took a look. The first three examples that I looked at went like this.

This one..... did not change! But, the guy mucked. (does it matter?)

*** 7TH STREET ***
Dealt to BamBamCan [As Ad Ah 3h Jc 2s] [3c]
I8tekid checks
BamBamCan bets $4
I8tekid calls $4
*** SHOW DOWN ***BamBamCan shows [As Ad Ah 3h Jc 2s 3c] Aces full of threes
I8tekid mucks
BamBamCan wins the pot ($31.30) with 6,5,3,2,A

But this one did change... and it makes NO sense at all?

*** 7TH STREET ***
Dealt to BamBamCan [3c 6s Ac 2h 7h 2s] [7d]
unklebobby bets $4
BamBamCan calls $4
*** SHOW DOWN ***
unklebobby shows [7h 6h 5c Td 4d 7c 6c] T,7,6,5,4
BamBamCan shows [7d 6s Ac 2h 7h 2s 3c] 7,6,3,2,A
BamBamCan wins the pot ($38.30) with 7,6,3,2,A

It flipped the 1st. and 7th. cards? Why bother?????
It just makes it look bad to the other player! I had my 7 made by 5th. Why make it look like I hit on 7th.?

Now figure this one out if you can!
(Courtesy of the fine folks at Brickin’ the Nutz)

*** 7TH STREET ***
Dealt to surflexus [8d Ac 4c 2c 3d 6d] [5c]
bbb_ark99 adds $20
surflexus bets $10
Tybeetime420 calls $10
*** SHOW DOWN ***
surflexus shows [8d 5c 4c 2c 3d 6d Ac] 5,4,3,2,A

What is the reason for flipping the 2nd. and 7th. cards? Why not the 1st.? Surf already had his 6 and the 5 was just bonus. Why show it so differently? Again, it only makes the play look worse than it should.

I’ve spent hours going over HH’s. No matter what variation, STUD or RAZZ,
It always seems to be done this way. A good play is made to look like a chase on the winners side.

Again from Brickin’ the Nutz ;

*** 7TH STREET ***
Dealt to 1Queens Up1 [As 2h 3s 6d 9h 5c] [Qh]
1Queens Up1 bets $1
Happy One 35 calls $1
*** SHOW DOWN ***
1Queens Up1 shows [Qh 2h 3s 6d 9h 5c As] 6,5,3,2,A
Happy One 35 mucks

Hey wait! Happy mucked here too! Why did it change them this time?

Now I understand in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn’t matter. You play how you play and you takes yer’ chances. But why make the hand look so much like a chase? Why possibly cause all the tension?

Any ideas?

My sincerest thanks for dropping by....

3 comments:

Jestocost said...

Yeah, that's a strange thing all right and boy do people get pissed off at the showdowns. I know I've started a hand with split aces and caught two pair, or something, only to have the showdown make it look like I caught the second ace on 7th street. Then some bozo with a smaller two pair or just a lone big pair berates me for being a donkey. Then again I've probably done the same thing to somebody else before I figured out the glitch (and even after I did, since I sometimes forget in a drunken stupor).

muhctim said...

Well, for my .02 cents worth. It seems the down card randomizer is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Confuse others as to how you are palying your hand. It is random, sometimes it switches 1 and 7, sometimes 2 and 7. If it did it the same way every time, it would be easier for people to figure you out. I see no problem with some one branding me as a donk chaser based on what came out in the end when I already had my hand made on 5th or 6th. After all, to my own chagrin, I can't always seem to let hands go when I should, and thereby find myself, in true tuckfardian fashion, praying the donkey prayer for the suckout. By the same token, I don't have any problem egging someone on as a "donkey" where the final showdown makes it look like they sucked out, even if I know they have the randomizer turned on. If they are solid, my comments won't bother them. If they feel like they have something to proove, well, it might knock them off their game just a little.
Now, if any of this makes sense, it was just my brain randomizer at work. If it sounds stupid, or does not really address what you are commenting on, then I've just donked another commentary.. . Either way, may the fard be with you!

Anonymous said...

I see Muhctim's point. If I played cash games in Stud I could see the point of having my hole cards randomized. BUT, I don’t play Stud cash games. I only play the silly game on Monday against friends. When I actually do something right and I don't chase "in true tuckfardian fashion" or I don't suck out on somebody... I want the dam credit.