7/31/2008

Special Ed teachers, need apply....

In the Bam-Bam world of all things financial, I'm having some serious issues with the Hold'Em account. Even after posting a couple of wins over the last few days, I still haven't managed to keep the balance up where I'd like it to be.

The STUD account on the other hand, is THRIVING!

So here I am, faced with the same dilemma I manage to reach over and over again. To transfer, or not to transfer? That is the question.

I never sweat the transfers for events like the TuckFards games, Skillz, Mookies, Riverchasers or even the odd Donkament. They are where my friends are and I'll damn well play those games if I want to. These events are basically why I work so hard at my games of choice. I just try to make enough so that when the opportunity to get out to any one of them presents itself, I'm just a click away from making it happen.

It's the transfers for the continuous 'learning' curve of NLHE that's starting to make me wonder. I found myself asking the question, "why am I doing it?" Am I having fun playing NLHE? Am I trying to make money at it? Am I expecting it to be exactly the same as my chosen games? Do I really have the patience to continue? I think that's really the big question.

Last night I sat, I chatted and I drank. This lead to a flame out in the mookie in the bottom quarter of the field but like I've said many times before, I don't go into a mookie seriously looking for a win. They start at 10:00pm local and with my daily routine of getting up around 4:30 am, a mookie is really about having an hour or so of fun with friends.

It's the damn NLHE that I have been taking seriously, that's got me pondering. Last night for example, Peb's and I watched intently as a battle of epic proportion was taking place, right in front of our eyes.

Here's the deal;

9 handed table, $10 + $1 SnG...... first hand of the game.

UTG limps in
3x raise from UTG +1
Call
Call
Bam-Bam folds (10-10)
pot raise
Button makes it all but $2 to go with a raise.
SB folds
BB is all in

Six callers and we have a 7 way all-in at an $11 game, on the first hand.

Seat #3's 4-8 off suit takes down the pot, as A-J, A-Q, A-K, J-Q, 2-2, 7-7 and 3-4 all go without improvement, after a flop of 6-7-5.

Expecting poker to happen in NLHE sometimes, takes the wind right out of your sails. But I think I should transfer some over anyways, and continue on the path to getting better at the game. I just need to find the correct special Ed instructor, that can help me understand the real complexities of such a skilled and well thought out game.

I better get working on something for #200. I do have an idea.......
It just needs a little fine tuning.

My sincerest thanks for dropping by....

1 comment:

pokertart said...

It all depends on why you are playing NLHE. Why do you want to get better at it? Is it to make more money? If so...why not just continue to make money at Stud?

If there are other reasons you want to master the game, then the only way to do that is to continue to play.