5/27/2008

When in doubt....

I needed a break. A break from hold'em, a break from blogging and a break from reality. I don't have enough memories of my grandparents to satisfy me personally, but one of the most vivid memories I do have, was my grandmothers advice to surround myself with friends. So this past weekend, I took that advice to heart. I loaded up the 'Red Rubble Racer' with my girl Peb's in tow and I created a plan. I pointed the car South by South East and off we went.

Saturday morning at around 11:30, I'd found the address we were looking for. It's an address that I'd had written down for some tome now, "just in case," as I'd always said. Well, I guess this was "the case." I dialed up the phone number and sat there waiting in the driveway.

"Hello," said the voice I was hearing for the first time.

Long story short, I think we surprised the hell out of ANIguy, Donkette and minidonk. The smiles, the laughter and the hugs made every mile of that drive, totally worthwhile. I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed meeting this family in person. Sometimes there's a common thread in writing styles, sometimes it's the game of poker or the chat and sometimes, it's just hard to explain how you just know you'll be able to get along with another blogger. But in my case, I knew from one of our very first meetings at the tables that the "Donk," family, was one that I just had to get together with. From the "ANIguy say's," day's, (where I felt it necessary to chat on ANI's behalf, after he'd had his chat put on hold for a bit) to my blogger crush mini, constantly knocking brudder Carson out of a game. The laughs we've had together as IIF's, are always very special to me.

Then there's Donkette and "her story." If you're not aware of how she's been putting her entire life out there for all to see, (and learn from!) then you're missing something pretty damn special! Where some of us, (including yours truly) write self gratification stories, or bitch about bad beats. This wonderful young lady is writing a story about her past with only one real intention. If her story helps just one person and prevents them from taking the same path early on, or even better! If it helps just one person realize that the situation they're in is not good and they seek the help they need to follow in her footsteps to recovery, then every word that she's written will have been well worth the effort. She puts up a great facade of the "tough Italian Momma." In reality, she does what she does with one of the biggest hearts I've ever known. I miss her hugs already!

We all spent the afternoon together out in their backyard. The conversations and subject matter ranged all over the map, as should be expected I guess for such a surprise get together. It was wonderful! Trying as hard as we could not to intrude, Peb's and I started to make our way off after an hour or so, so they could get on with their family weekend. Yeah right! Donkette just wouldn't let us leave! Our quick surprise visit turned into a couple of drinks, a huge lunch and several hours later, we were on our way.

I seriously ((((((HEART)))))) the "Donk" family !!!!

And mini..... they were some of the bestest hugs I've ever had! I hope I didn't squish you too much. ;o)

So with nothing better to do and a night in PA left at our disposal, Peb's and I did what everyone in PA should do, when given the chance. We went to a pub! No, no, no!! Not "a" pub! "The Pub!" The Tyler James Pub out in Phoenixville.

I had a drink or two with this guy.


I helped ruin the quiet and charming atmosphere with this guy.


Peb's played her favorite game, "spot the diff." with Big Mike.

Although I have to admit, Pebbles seemed a little off her usual game since she's more used to balloon and food pictures on the game she normally plays. I got a huge kick out of what differences the two of them were noticing!
Bike Mike = "Her boob! That tat on her butt! The thong up her....!"
Pebbles = "Her shoes. The picture in the back there." *sighs.."OK.... her boob!"

Everyone knows Al and I'm not going to bust a nut trying to tell you anything new about him. He's a good man, a good friend and I'd drive that 600 miles down to have a drink with him, damn near anytime. I know I'll at least be doing it again in September, as I officially threw my name in for "the Bash." We talked a bit about some plans for the Friday morning that included some "A-Lister," dude from the East, but we'll just have to wait and see if they all come together. For the record Al, this "EH-Lister" will commit to it right now!

So all you blogger types out there, who hasn't met Big Mike yet and, what the hell are you waiting for? I read a while back that Al had issues with a few words here and there about Mike and his poker game. Well I'll tell you something, there isn't a nicer person that deserves no crap from anyone, than Big Mike! The guy is awesome and just plain fun to be around. Somehow, somewhere.... Al must have done something right. Because when he got in line for for friends to hang around the pub with, he got the pick of the litter. Rockin' the Juke with you and the ever popular "play now" feature, was a blast Big Mike! See you in September for certain!

We waited too long to get a hotel room for the night, so we had to stay all the way out in King of Prussia. That was really too bad. Since Peb's was pretty tired and had to be my chauffeur for the night, we had to leave a little earlier than I really wanted to. I'm sure my liver isn't too terribly upset about that however! As I was really starting to get into the swing of hoisting the glass!

I need to thank my man Riggs for being my "guy on the inside." Although, his switch-around plan didn't quite work out the way he had hoped I'm sure! I had a plan to call Al from outside the pub and start the dial-a-shot process. As soon as he said, "let me grab a shot," I was going to walk in and say, "yeah, me too!" That's basically how it all went down. Al and Bike Mike had another plan in mind, since someone obviously let them know I was in town!!!! I tell you what! I almost wish it would've worked out the way they had it all planned out! I would of loved to have been kicked out of the pub. What a story that would have made!

It didn't work out that I got to sit down with Riggs on this visit, and that kinda sucks! Next trip for sure though. I'll just have to figure out a way to make it happen.

Al, Big Mike, ANIguy, Donkette and of course, my blogger crush minidonk! I can't thank you all enough, for putting up with me just dropping by.

So I drove about 1200 miles to be with good friends and have some great times ! I had a pretty good weekend! How was yours?

My sincerest thanks for dropping by....

6 comments:

Donkette said...

We are truly blessed to have friends as great as you and Pebs...And just for the record your visit ranks in the top 5 of the things that are special in my life.

pokertart said...

Wow - what a weekend! I gotta say, Bam-Bam....I don't think I know anyone who embraces life quite the way you do.

I'm glad to know you.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could find some accounting of how much I've spent on that "Spot the difference game" while hammered in a bar.

Lawd.

G-Rob

BigMike said...

Thanks for the visit! Though not a surprise, it was definitely a pleasant evening. It is always nice to put a face with the name. Certainly another reason to look forward to the bash!

BWoP said...

GRRRRRRRRRR.

Stupid cell phone reception at the Grand Canyon.

Thanks for the dial-a-shot attempt!

Unknown said...

Bam Bam Bam Bam Bam Bam,

That was a awesome weekend Sorry It had to come to a end .I know my post and comments are getting out late but with school and BOYS I have been really busy Hope to catch u later

LOOK AT MY POST c ya