12/10/2007

30 wonderful hours .... Part I ....

This is going to take a few posts. Don't worry, I won't miss anything ... I think!

Our weekend started with the same incredible grace that 2007 has been bestowing upon us for the past few months. Our flight out of Buffalo was delayed due to weather. Weather in Newark ! The plane that was going to take us to Cleveland for our connection to Vegas was having a hard time getting to us. It finally showed, 2 hours late. No problem we were told. That would leave us a little over 5 minutes to catch our connector in Cleveland, and off we'd be to the WBPT in Vegas.

You want sick ??? I was told by a certain Continental Airlines personnel that, "I've made that hike from gate to gate in 5 minutes. With a stroller and 3 kids." I was first off the plane in Cleveland. With boarding passes in hand and our bag full of goodies for "The Doc," I ran like I've never ran before. I made the jaunt down into, ( and right back out of ) "The Tunnel" in exactly 1 minute and 21 seconds. ( a new track record I was told ) There was another couple and Pebbles and I, that needed to catch that flight. 70 feet from the gate, I announced that "the four of us are here." This lead to the airport security, closing the gate right in front of my face. I could see the Captain and co-pilot, they were actually staring right at me as if to say, "sorry man! There's nothing we can do from here." I went insane for what seemed like hours. I'm sure it was about 5 minutes of hell for everyone that could hear me. The last flight out of the Cleveland "International" Airport could not wait 30 seconds for 4 desperate travellers. I lost it and, it was not pretty. Somewhere right now, there's a Continental Airlines employee, that won't be able to hear for at least two weeks. The security dude? He has to be wondering how he's ever going to get his head out from 'that high' up his ass!

It was all to no avail. We were officially stuck in Cleveland, instead of heading to Vegas. We'd lost 18 of our 48 hours of debauchery and mayhem, thanks to a dipstick security guard, and an increased "Orange" level of security. Word to the wise for those protecting "Homeland Security." Canadians flying to Vegas for the weekend, are NOT THE PROBLEM !

Now it was a race. We made it to Vegas by noon the next day. We had exactly 30 hours to get in everything, I mean absoloutely everything that we wanted to accomplish. That is a small window. But those of you that read here or know us, know that we'd make the best of it we could. (the glass is definitely 1/2 full ! And it's a damn fine Scotch we're drinking! End of discussion.) And so that brings us to the end of the crap. Everything else no matter what!.... Gets better from here on out!

*********************************************

No matter what we tried, it looked like the only way we were going to meet was, at the event itself. Then my cell went off. I looked down as if surprised by who might be calling me here in Vegas 2 hours before the big event was going to start.
"The Wife," was displayed on the screen. "Hi. I'm trying to find the poker room" were the words I'd hear. I could here those words in both ears! I turned and gazed around the massive main floor of the Venetian. "You're beautiful" came out of my mouth before I could actually begin to think of what to say. Pebbles shouted, "The Wife!!" as she realized what was going on. I didn't even get the first hug. The Wife and Pebbles latched on, as if some incredible magnet had control over their physical beings. It was awesome. I finally got my chance and I took it! I leaned in and had a hug that although not lasting nearly long enough, seemed to last forever. Peb's and I were in our happy place right then. This was the one "invisible," both of us needed to 'feel' and meet. It was truly our pleasure.

Earlier on, we'd found a man and a guitar. A little primary deduction from earlier conversations, and we knew we'd found Instant Tragedy. The first of the group hugs ensued. I/T is a damn fine man. If I can figure this out in 40 to 50 post's, 5 or 6 E-mail's, 1 phone conversation and 15 minutes face to face, anyone who meets him should be able to do the same. As I said every chance I had this weekend, it was our sincerest pleasure to have finally met you face to face I/T. We can't wait for the next event, so we can do it all over again.

There was a Laptop sitting on the table in the waiting area. Several people were sprayed around that waiting area that had "the look" of blogger's in Vegas. But one, one was sitting intently staring at the screen and diligently working away at whatever the screen had to offer. It felt weird at first to just walk up and say "Hey." But I did it. Later at the bar, I/T would introduce me to the mystery man. "Bam-Bam, meet Buddy. Buddy Dank." For those of you not aware, Buddy Dank Radio is the one true way, to enjoy a mookie.
(and the 'breastest' uh...'header?' in the blogger community!) He does a live broadcast that's only getting better every single event. It was a pleasure to discuss future plans with you sir. I look forward to each of those plans coming to fruition. As an avid listener and just as avid a mookier, the results will be amazing I'm sure.

As I watched him enter the room, I knew I could scratch another one off my list of "to-do's." I headed to the bar. "Two double SoCo's neat" came out of my mouth, as the bartender looked my way politely. I grabbed both glasses and headed back into the poker room. There he was so, I walked up and said, "Sir, I still haven't managed to develop a taste for this stuff." "Bam-Bam sir." was the reply. A quick, warming and welcoming handshake was the only thing that got between us and our appointed rounds. I just did a double-shot of SoCo with Al. It was going to be a damn fine weekend. This wouldn't be the last over the weekend and yes I know Al, the next ones on me. Some things are worth keeping track of and this would qualify. I am honoured to owe you one.

"Have you met Waffles?" Al said as we had another at the sports book. "Uh no, not yet" I said. "Waffles.... Bam-Bam." Said Al as he moved away into the crowd that had formed around us. If you've been under a rock for the last little while, Waffles is the YIN to Al's Yang. You'd never know that seeing them in person though. Like Carson and I, they are definitely, brother's from another mother. I chose to imitate Al. If Waffles comments somewhere, I tend to take a shot at him and hope that everyone knows that it's meant with nothing but humour in mind. I might just take it a little easier on Waffles in the future. Not too much easier, but just a little. (heh) I will still drink with this man anytime, anywhere. You'd love him Cars! He's a hell of a 'person.'

After entry into the event, I looked over my shoulder at a voice that seemed to be familiar somehow. I don't think it was the voice exactly, more the tone of the conversation. "Otis?" I asked the man standing just behind me. "Bam-Bam!" was the reply. Another manly hug, (I promise) and handshake ensued. If you read here, you know I admire the tones that Otis uses in his work. I wanted to discuss everything with Otis, right then and right there. It just wasn't the right time. We had a small chat and had a picture or two taken for prosperity. (mine.... not his! lol) Other than 1 minute for him to help me locate BadBlood, I missed buying Otis a drink on The Doc. We never hooked up again in the time that was remaining. I think I need a trip to G-Vegas. I hate not being a man of my word. It eats at my very core.

"Bam-Bam?" said the gentleman to Otis' right. "Pauly! nice to meet you finally sir." I said. "Man, you're a lot older than I thought you'd be!" were his next words. "I figured you for a twenty-something pumped up kid, or something." said The Good Doctor. All I could retort with was, "the brains there, the body.... not so much."
I shoulda' just said screw you !

"Bam-Bam?" said the man on my left. A quick check of the questioner involved.. a thin man, who appears to have recently lost weight. He had fiery eyes, beard to match and was in "the kilt." Got it! "Falstaff sir, a pleasure." I said. It was indeed Falstaff! The organizer supreme! The man who'd managed to get this mess, to look so professional, crisp and clean. Much, much more on him, later! (This will take at least one entire post!)

I found out that I'd drawn seat #6, at table #16. Welcome to the first two hours....
Only 28 to go !

**********************************

At the request of Carson, and with all due respect to Pauly.........

My udder-brudder gave me a suggestion for material to post. He was looking for names on the cards that "the clickers," hand out on the street. A top five list of sorts.

This was Vegas... We took it one step further. Here's the names of the first 5 Hookers that tried to pick up both Pebble's and I, over the weekend. You know us,
"support you're local pole-workers!"

1) Lana & Hope !! (good start if you're me !)
2) Shirley
3) Tatianna
4) CAT ( had it been Kat! We were there I think)
5) Lizzy

my sincerest thanks for dropping by....

(and making us feel welcome)

11 comments:

NutzFirth said...

Nice! Shitty that you lost 14 hours, but sounds like u had fun anyways. Can't wait to read part 2/3.

katitude said...

Dang, I wanted to hang out with you guys more! very dissappointing. Didn't realize you were at the sports book while I was learning the nuances (?) of Crazy Pineapple.

I am glad I got to see you even briefly, but didja have to split so fast? I didn't even get in a butt grab *grin.

Seriously, we need to get together soon :-) email me at badkatitude at gmail dot com!

BadBlood said...

It was great to finally meet you, I wish we could have had more time to chat. Hopefully you made it further in the tournament than I did.

G-Vegas would love to host you guys sometime. Take care.

BB

Anonymous said...

I don't know if Waffles understands the compliment that you gave him there, but if he is "person" in your books, he's "person" in mine. I look forward to meeting him some day.

That's all I'm commenting on right now, I'm jealous of your trip and now… I’m not the least bit sorry I busted you out of the tournament last night.

pokertart said...

More more!

BamBam said...

Check back later P/T !

All this work crap keeps getting in the way. Most of todays is written already. A little cut & paste here and there, and I should have it up by late afternoon.

;o)

Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

It was great meeting you. Next time we will have to sit and chat about life and playing bad hands of poker...haha! No, in all serious, next time we will have to set an hour of our time to sit and chat.

BamBam said...

It was great times "Rooster." I look forward to our next meeting!
Might have to have a drink too!
(heh)

Pauly said...

Great to finally meet you and Pebbles!

Unknown said...

It was simply my pleasure and honor to meet you and your wonderful wife.

I look forward to our next meeting with great anticipation!

:-)

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS (pause) SUCK (cheers).

IT

Maudie said...

It was such a treat to finally meet you and Pebbles. I wish I could have spent more time getting to know you. Next time for sure!

8^)