10/28/2009

Me Hold'EM? Puh-leeeease....

Lack of sleep, (more than usual) has seen me sitting down at the virtual felt a little more than normal. Rather than get wound up at a bad beat, I'm finding it brain exercise that can actually help me get the old eyes closed a little faster.

So I've committed to a plan of 90 player SNG's again, hoping to learn enough to consider it a little bit of practice. That is practice for the game against you my dear readers, in our game up coming in Vegas in just a few short weeks.

I know, I know! G/L me!

Anywho....

I usually get all jammed up when the games start like this. I was just settling in when I realized, I didn't have a beer in front of me.

*bing* I hear the game start, as I'm making my way to the beer fridge in the back room. As I get back to the 'puter, I see my hand time out and fold. No biggie, it was only the first hand after all. I watch the action unfold and see that big slick took the pot off of A-Q.

Boat over boat... DAMN!

I must've had crap anyways.


Uh........ ya.

So early in the game, and both players slow played the hell out of pretty good holdings. Interesting. NOT typical at all, but interesting!

Then after a few hands where I once picked up only the blinds and then, made a good re-steal on my BB after a SB raise, I was moved to a new table.

It was there at that new table, that I think I found the gold standard in ATM drawing machines. I watched three hands where with only a draw to gutters and second or third best frushes, this chap managed to get all of his chippies into the center. Problem was, he was hitting!

So I took a shot here while in a hand with him, hoping to hold and double up.


Apparently according to the chatbox I, "got lucky there."

Mmmmmm....... K.

As we went along it became clearer and clearer to me, that this player was heavily leaning towards betting any draws he had out there.

Yes potentially I guess he could hit his draws against me, (as he had some others) and any play would cripple me with a loss. But it did make it easier to get his chips in on a race, when I was actually holding some type of hand.

Here was my favorite example. Apparently I was a real, "Lucky Donkey" for seeing a flop in my BB. Uh.....with no raise pre!


Considering how many times he did hit his draws on the River, I guess all I can say is, "Hee-Haw!"

I haven't scored any big wins or anything, but I have managed to final table a few here and there for some cash. Not much at my $1, $2 & $3 levels mind you! But every little bit helps the confidence, you know?

I'd honestly rather get some deep sleep truthfully, but as long as I can "Donkey" my way into some fun and some pay outs, I'll take the practice when I can get it I guess.

My sincerest thanks for dropping by....

2 comments:

BWoP said...

So are you playing "boring" poker or "fun" poker?

BamBam said...

Funny you should ask actually!

I've tried to keep the "fun" hands to a minimum, both in frequency and cost to play. But I have not left that part of the game out of my arsenal.

I still find the grind ridiculously boring. However, I have to admit it can be really effective when the hands hold up.

So there you have it!
What I know about NLHE in a nutshell.

:p