4/30/2009

Poker needs to imitate life....

Where Poker may imitate life....

I sat down and took a really good look at my on-line Bam-Bam, NLHE bankroll and came to several obvious conclusions. The one table 9 player games are a real strength for me and I should be capable of slowly building up a decent bankroll by playing them. Secondly, if I insist on getting involved in the MTT games, I slay the 6-max games and have shown signs of struggle in the other formats. Again, if I insist on keeping on, keeping on with my love for MTT's, six-max should always be considered first.

So I sat and devised a plan and totally re-organized my bankroll accordingly. As always I have a budget for experimentational play and one for just plain getting down to business. What I noticed was missing however, was the disposable income factor. I had no budget for frivolity! I am always looking for a little fun and occasionally, it is great to just sit down and donk it up a bit. I have been doing that of course, but I was appropriating funds from two budgets that can ill afford the hits!

In order to really measure my success or failure as I go, I need a third budget. I also need to support this budget with my getting down to business account. I need to earn the right to play with my money, even though it's really my money in the first place. If I want disposable income to play with, I'd better take a good hard look at my financial situation, and then devise a plan to build up the funds required to consider it disposable dammit!

Funny enough, Peb's and I did just that in real life too! With some long hard looks into our needs and wants and with one short meeting with our financial support group, we literally just created the single greatest lifestyle change we could. (that we can control of course!)

All around us, economies and businesses are collapsing. Bail-outs abound and no one but the poor souls at the bottom, know where the cash is going and of course, we all know where it's coming from now, don't we!

We just made a decision to bail our own azzes out! We have just taken advantage of some incredible Government rebates, both Federal and Provincial. We're taking advantage of an incredibly low mortgage rate and will again, should it make another substantial move in the downwards direction. And last but not least, we came up with a plan from all of this where we not only reduced any payments necessary, but we also reduced our over all debt to the bank at the same time! Thus handing us something we have not seen an awful lot of since Peb's was removed from her position here in Corporate Bedrock......

Using the system, we created disposable income!

And I'll be damned if the system didn't actually go ahead and work one time, just for the good guys!

Now if I can just garner the same type of focus with my Poker bankroll!

My sincerest thanks for dropping by...

3 comments:

Goatlady said...

LOL - Nice to know I am not alone in my struggles with financial discipline! We have been tight with the house funds, but my poker... that is another story. Good luck with your new attitude!! I find I tend to do better on the 6 handed tables, I think it is due to there being more action, keeping me focused on the game. And not reading blogs.

To finance my MTTs I play cash games and win my entries - keeps the outward flow a slow trickle and not a gushing fire hose.

PokahDave said...

Bail ourselves out! I like it...I also kick much more ass in the Short-Handed/6Max tournaments. Most of my biggest wins were in that format....
Why do I play anything else is the real question.

BWoP said...

Hooray for liferoll and pokerroll management :-)