7/23/2008

Skillz never enough....

Last nights Skillz game, (brought to you by cem) was STUD Hi/Lo. I managed to make it back from Golf just in time to get myself registered. Now the split game isn't my personal favorite variation of STUD, but since it actually takes more concentration than straight up 7-card STUD, I decided to challenge myself.

At times... "challenge" (Hmmmmmm...... how can I say this?)
Uhhhh........ wasn't a strong enough word.
Of course you always see 'interesting' hands in STUD and you can surely double the 'interesting' factor, when ever you're playing the split version.

I drew a great starting table featuring Budohorseman, jimdniacc, chitwood and a couple of folks I've had the pleasure of losing to steadily in my NLHE appearances in the blogaments, jeciimd and twoblackaces. There was enough skill level at the table to keep me interested that's for certain. It was also nice to sort of have everyone on my 'home turf' as it were, playing some type of STUD variation. This game definately had my full attention.

I basically cruised along with a semi-yo-yo like stack, taking the odd pot or hit here and there for the first little while. I was sort of chugging along, just trying to get a feel for how and what everyone would be playing as the evening went along. I was pretty much in my comfort zone I'd guess you'd say. Steadily as I was getting a better read on the play at the table, I built my stack up to a respectable amount by getting paid off by players running aggressive draws. Aggressive draws to one and two outs. It's an art to avoid the one outer, and apparently something I haven't quite got nailed down yet. Almost immediatly after having jimdniacc fold on 7th. street to what he said was a draw to a straight and flush, (I believe) we got into this hand.

Now I'm sure somewhere in the world someone will say, "you have a boat on 5th.st. and you let him get to 7th.st. to make quads on you?" That's fine. Opinion's vary greatly on how to extract that absoloute maximum amount of chips you can in a limit seven-card STUD game. But I'm pretty sure that those at the table who were paying attention know, just how lucky jimd was in that situation. I don't like losing to one outers, but it happens. Looking through the eyes of the other side in that hand, it's a total draw to low with how I played my hand and the two jacks showing after 4th.st. It was an interesting chase down to 7th.st. as the hand was played, and one lucky card saved his butt. Luck happens both ways and this time, I was on the down side of the equation. I was in total control of that pot so despite losing the hand, I actually lost less than I could have. I made a flat call at every bet made on every street after my one initial raise. With jimd showing a 4,6,2,5 board, I obviously wanted him to play a little aggressive, to let me know if he had hit or missed the low.

I grew up playing every variation of STUD imaginable so I know one thing for certain. All the skill in the world can't stop someone from hitting that miracle card against you.

MEH..... it was one hand.
( I really need to transfer that attitude to my NLHE game don't you think? )

I stayed around mid field with my chip stack but eventually built it back up to a descent size once again. With good fortune on one hand where I managed to stay ahead the whole way in one rather large pot, I actually took the chiplead for a little while in fact. I avoided a few scary looking boards along the way and let go of a few respectable draws, when I had missed good combinations by 5th.st. Fred and I seemed to be the most active players and we were often in the same pots together. I didn't really count them all, but I would say we chopped about 7 or 8 pots through the second hour of play. We also took a few good pots off each other in the same timeframe. He did "hammer" me one time for a fairly small pot. It was funny too. He even warned me about it at the time. Did I ever mention that I really like Fred? There's really something to be said about a guy that never 'taps the glass,' when he's taking all your chips in Hold'em.

As we made it to final table, MiamiDon and LJ joined in on the fun. All Don wanted was a hug and LJ could never really get anything going at all. I think Fred and I ended up splitting her bounty. Don ran the yo-yo stack routine for a little bit, losing a good chunk on a split between jec and I. Then ending up with a split himself on a hand where a draw managed to get there against him.

Half way into the third hour, I went on an expensive run of very high brings. In a five handed game, this really takes it's toll on the old stack! It wasn't long before I became nearly crippled by the Antes and brings. With the level being so very expensive and my stack being in a downword spiral, burried Kings with a suited Queen kicker ended up being the hand I was dealt that seemed reasonable to get all my money in with. There were only low cards showing on the board and even a split pot in that situation, would have made me enough chips to survive until the next playable hand. I got two insta-calls. They split the Hi/Lo after starting well behind me and I was done for the night in fifth.

Oh well like I said, sometimes the luck and cards are with you, and sometimes not so much! I played some seriously solid poker and read the boards pretty well all night long. Playing that way always makes me want to keep coming back, again and again.

I see Shrike took it down. Good on him! He played pretty well last night and is a deserving winner IMHO.

One final note for my readers out there. There's a new and very handsome face in our little kuh-myoo-ni-tee, take a moment to stop by PokerTarts and take a look. You'll be glad you did. I bet it makes you smile!

My sincerest thanks for dropping by....

1 comment:

Shrike said...

Thanks for the kudos. I got lucky in two late pots (one which you've recounted above) to recover from some sick beats akin to your full boat being run down to get back on top.

-Shrike aka PirateLawyer