1/12/2009

Poker, The Canadian news....

Another Canadian on-line qualifier takes down the whole deal!

From The Canadian Press

PARADISE ISLAND, Bahamas - Poorya Nazari of Richmond Hill Ontario, is leaving the Bahamas US$3-million richer after winning the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure over the weekend.

The 22 year-old biochemistry graduate won his seat on the PokerStars online gambling website in a $33 triple rebuy satellite tournament, investing only $700 to win his trip to the Caribbean and a seat in the PCA Festival of Poker main event held at the Atlantis Hotel.

"It hasn't sunk in yet," said Nazari. "It feels unbelievable, surreal. I can't believe it's happening."

He was one of 1,347 entrants in the $10,000 no limit hold 'em event - a number that smashed all records for a poker tournament held outside the United States and created a total prize pool of more than $12.5 million.

"It was only (Saturday) that I started thinking about winning," he said. "At one point Friday I was down to virtually nothing but I got off to a good start (Saturday) and at that point I thought I might have a shot."

Nazari, who graduated from university last month, has also a won a seat in the EPT Grand Final which takes place in Monte Carlo from April 28 - May 3.

More information can be found at Pokernews, in an article very well written by this guy.

= = = = = =

In other Canadian Poker news, Peb's took down a 7th. place finish in a 90 player MTT on Sunday. Saying, "I was the chip leader for most of the first two hours, only to run so card dead in the late stages of the game, that I was virtually blinded out in 7th. while holding A-J sooooted. My hand was no match for my opponents J-K off, which naturally turned and rivered the set of Kings."

= = = = = =

The TuckFard Open NLHE and Tuckard II Omaha/8 run tonight on FullTilt. The P/W for both is Donkey and at only $3.50 a game, I don't think you can find any better value in fun for the price. The Open starts at 7:00pm EST, with the Tuck II getting started at 8:05pm EST.

= = = = = =

Speaking of the TuckFards, I just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to everyone that took the time to drop by and congratulate TotalTilt and NutzFirth on their new addition.

Peb's and I are really looking forward to meeting young Brody this weekend, as the Tucks will be holding a game on Saturday night. In a brief interview with Carsino host brudder Carson, I discovered that there may be up to forty runners possible for this event! It's been a very long time since everyone managed to get together at one time. But I think for the chance to have a little fun at the tables AND see the first "full-blooded" TuckFard ever born, the crowd should be right up there with those numbers.

Can't wait !!!

Interesting concept on the buy-in too! Along with the cash for your buy-in and bounty, a box of Diapers is required to get your seat! Great idea! Lord knows they'll be needing one or two of those over the next little while!

= = = = = =

I had mixed results in Poker over the weekend, going 50/50 in the double or nothing games over at Stars for a pretty "Meh" feeling after it was all said and done. Then I ended up bubbling the cash in back-to-back 90 player games as well. That was far more frustrating, as I played some good solid Poker to get that far, only to have a hand against a hand in both situations.

In the first game, the chip leader was to my immediate left. He was playing not just aggressive, but WAY too often IMHO. On what I had as his 7th. straight hand played, he fired a 3x raise to my BB, from UTG. It was folded around to me and I was holding Q-Q. I decided to just make the call, with hopes of setting him up for a little later in the hand. I get a dream flop of 2-Q-8 rainbow and an opponent firing a pot sized bet into my set. I shoved and was very happy to see the insta-caller had A-A. That of course, was right up until the river. An Ace comes and sends me packing.

In the second game, I went out courtesy of a flopped straight losing to a four flush that just couldn't let go no matter what the price! (I believe it was 3/4 of his stack!) That hand crippled my stack and just two hands later, I was dealt the pocket rockets. My jam was only 2 1/2 times the BB and not too many were going to leave the pot alone for that. Three callers all check it down to show K-K, A-K and 9-9. I lose to a set of 9's.

Again, I feel like I'm playing NLHE a lot better than I ever have, and I think my deep runs into so many of these games is a good sign. I just need that little nudge to get me over the top. I do feel like it's coming though, so I'm going to keep plugging away until it does.

My sincerest thanks for dropping by....

3 comments:

Baywolfe said...

Good for Mr. Zazari specifically and the Bahamas in general! Maybe if the focus of poker moves away from US, more people in a position of power and authority will fight for our right to play legally.

BTW, although I was thinking of you when I said I was thankful for no ice and snow, it's not a shot, per se.

Remember, that once upon a time I lived in the Great White Midwest.

Memphis MOJO said...

"In other Canadian Poker news, Peb's took down a 7th. place"

Good for her. See you tonight at the TF Open.

lightning36 said...

I just may have to make a guest appearance at TF tonight to test out the competition.

I remember the day when my last child was done with diapers. I thought to myself, "Never again." After a few weeks, I was finally able to bring my hands somewhat close to my nose without getting a whiff of that all-too-familiar smell ...